Saturday, November 04, 2006

Retail Hell

I love working in retail when I can work on getting things set up and see that I have made some progress. I really like to feel like I'm starting something new, something that other people will enjoy. Even though it is simply signing and putting furniture in the right spots, I feel like I'm a part of something bigger.

When the store opens, I end up dealing with the customers, the one's that I have done all of this work for. I have cleaned and polished, and finished all of my signing to make their lives easier and to hopefully promote a sale to them. They critique my furniture as though it is an extension of me, as if every knick is a flaw of mine. I know they do not mean it this way, and do not take offense, but rather add to the list of things needing to be repaired or replaced in my ever diminishing hours over in furniture.

I have a flaw....I know too much about retail. I know too much about how to do each of the jobs necessary in my store and because I can do each of them, I am placed in every department of the store other than my area. I cannot hope to get anything done because of this. I love my job but not the stupid questions asked by customers or my bosses. Do not get me wrong my job makes me happy and I enjoy helping somebody but there are only so many times people can ask an obvious question before you wanto answer sarcastically.

I'm bored, so I'm going to go out now.

No comments: